Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Smothered Chicken

Ingredients

4 pounds chicken leg quarters ; skinned
1/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 onion ; chopped
1 can mushroom
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup cooking oil

Instructions

Cut chicken into serving pieces and remove skin. (I do this dish with whatever chicken I happen to have on hand. Sometimes I use leg quarters; sometimes I use the big baking hens.) Season evenly with the salt and the peppers.

These measures are approximates.I like mine spicy hot. Adjust the seasonings to your own taste. For variety, add other herbs, e.g., thyme, basil, oregano, etc.

Coat the pieces with flour. I just sprinkle mine with a shaker of flour.
In the meantime, heat oil (I use corn oil) in a heavy pot. Brown the pieces a few at a time, turning to cook on both sides. I continue to sprinkle more flour into the pot during this time.

When all the pieces have been browned, add the wine to the pot and scrape loose all the browned bits on the pan bottom. Return the chicken to the pot and add the mushrooms and onions. I sometimes add whole black olives and chopped bell pepper.

Cover the pot and cook in a medium oven until done. You can simmer on the top of the stove if desired.

When done, you might want to skim off some of the grease before serving.
Thicken the gravy if you like. Serve over rice.
Back to Top | Back to Poultry

No comments :