Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Shrimp Enchildas Rancheros

Your friends will love you for preparing this.

Ingredients

2 pounds wild shrimp with heads (You probably won't need this much.)
cayenne pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
white pepper
1 pound Poblano Chile
1 pound tomatillo
1 onion diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
3 cups shrimp broth *
3 cloves garlic minced
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup Swiss cheese, grated
1 cup black olive sliced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
10 flour tortilla

Instructions

Peel, remove heads, and devein shrimp. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, red, white, and black pepper. Set aside until sauce is ready. Make a stock from the peels and heads. I use a potato masher to squeeze fats, brains, etc., out of them. Go for it. This is your flavor base.

Roast chiles over open flame one at a time until blackened all over. Place in plastic bag and allow to steam in their own heat for about 15 minutes. Peel and clean out the seeds and membranes. Cut into a large dice.

Peel and wash tomatillos and parboil for about 5 minutes. Cut up onion and garlic. Place onion, garlic, tomatillos, salt, and chiles into a blender and add a bit of broth. Blend until a coarse consitency is achieved - - about like the consistency of a regular red salsa you'd find on the store shelf. You may have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your blender.

Place in a pot along with the rest of the broth and bay leaf and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Blend cornstarch with equal amount of water and add to sauce. Set aside and cover. Let sit for about 15 minutes or so.

To assemble enchiladas get cheeses and shrimp ready to go. Pan fry the shrimp in butter until just barely done.

Heat up a dry skillet over low to medium heat. Place a flour tortilla in skillet and turn frequently until warmed up and softened a bit. (Or to make this easier, just zap a tortilla for about 10 seconds in the microwave.)

Drop into green sauce and use spoon to ladle sauce on top of tortilla. You want to get the tortilla coated with the sauce on both sides.

Carefully transfer tortilla to a plate where you'll build the enchilada. It helps if you have an extra set of hands. One to do the clean work, and one to do the messy part.

The messy partner then places three or four shrimp across the middle of the enchilada and then a bit of both cheeses. Roll up the enchilada and place seam side down in a baking pan or shallow Corningware.

Continue until pan is filled with rolled enchiladas. Ladle green sauce over all making sure to cover ends of the enchiladas. Garnish with some black olives and a bit of grated cheese. Bake uncovered in a medium oven for about 20 minutes or until heated through. Be careful not to scorch.

Serve up with sour cream if desired. Good with Spanish rice and refried beans and a salad. Be sure and have some good cold beer and some Mexican music on hand.

Enjoy!!

*For years I made this sauce with chicken broth. It works just fine. But believe me -- once you do this with real home-made shrimp stock, you will never want to go back to the chicken stock.
Back to Top

11 comments :

Anonymous said...

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself or did you
hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thanks

Here is my webpage ... auto insurance tn

Anonymous said...

Wow! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It's on a entirely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!

My blog post Go Here

Anonymous said...

My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .
net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.

But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on a variety of websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to
another platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.
net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it?
Any kind of help would be really appreciated!



My blog - Suggested Website

Anonymous said...

I really like what you guys tend to be up too. This type of
clever work and exposure! Keep up the wonderful works guys I've incorporated you guys to our blogroll.

Here is my web blog - similar resource site

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

Here is my blog post: http://www.miamionnuri.org/?mid=info_vision

Anonymous said...

Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with? I'm looking
to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a tough time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something completely unique.

P.S Apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!


my blog :: Read Full Article

Anonymous said...

Hi there! It appears as though we both have a interest for the same thing.
Your blog, "Blogger: doss peace and justice center's cookbook" and
mine are very similar. Have you ever considered authoring a guest write-up for a related website?

It will definitely help gain exposure to your blog (my site recieves a
lot of visitors). If you happen to be interested, email me at: tammy-sisson@gmail.
com. Appreciate it

Also visit my site click to read more

Anonymous said...

I am wondering which blogging platform you are using?
I'm new to operating a blog and have been thinking about using the Tripod platform. Do you think this is a good foundation to start with? I would be really thankful if I could ask you some questions through email so I can learn a bit more prior to getting started. When you have some free time, please make sure to contact me at: robertaleon@bigstring.com. Thanks

My blog post: Learn Additional Here ()

Anonymous said...

My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .
net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on numerous websites for
about a year and am anxious about switching
to another platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.

net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it?
Any help would be really appreciated!

Feel free to surf to my web blog; Full Statement ()

Anonymous said...

Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
The text in your content seem to be running off
the screen in Firefox. I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know.

The style and design look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed soon.
Many thanks

Also visit my blog post ... Click On this page

Anonymous said...

I'm very pleased to find this page. I want to to thank you for your time due to this wonderful read!! I definitely savored every bit of it and i also have you book marked to look at new information on your web site.ecommerce app development company